Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Question of Lent

I was asked a question last week that I would like to address through my blog.  It concerns why so many Protestant  churches, especially evangelical ones, do not commemorate Lent as they do Advent.  It is a very important question. 

Most churches celebrate Advent - the first coming of the Lord Jesus; whether it is through a special Advent series of messages the pastor will preach or through a ceremony of lighting the Advent wreath on each of the four Sunday's before Christmas.  Many believers take time during Advent to pause and truly remember the "reason for the season."  And this is so important because Advent has become one of the most commercialized seasons of the year. 

Last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the period of 40 days until Easter.  (Actually it is 46 days, but the 6 Sundays are not included in the 40-days of Lent).  Ash Wednesday begins the time of preparation for Easter with a time of mourning.  Traditionally ashes are placed upon the foreheads of those who attend Ash Wednesday services.  Now, in the Bible, ashes were a sign of mourning and repentance.  We read in Job 42: 3-6: "You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'  Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.  You said, "Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.'  My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.  Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.'"  This is the same Job who, just a few chapters previously, had stated that he wanted his two minutes with God so that he might get some things off his chest.  Well, in chapters 38-41, Job had more than his two minutes with God and what was the result? Job was humbled and he showed his humility and repentance for his arrogance by putting ashes upon himself.  In Jeremiah 6:26, the prophet admonishes the people of Judah: "O my people, put on sackcloth and roll in ashes; mourn with bitter wailing as for an only son, for suddenly the destroyer will come upon us."  Ash Wednesday is a time for serious reflection about sin and our relationship with Jesus Christ.

Now, you may ask, why the period of forty days?  Is that biblical?  And the answer is "yes, it is."  The example used for the creation of Lent was that of Jesus' time in the wilderness as He was tested by the Devil.  We read in Matthew 4:1-2, "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.  After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry." The number 40 is a reference to a time of preparation

Traditionally, Lent will close on the Eve of Easter.  For some churches, Lent will close with the Maundy Thursday services.  Those are the times when we remember Jesus' final meal with His disciples there in the Upper Room and His later struggles in the Garden of Gethsemane and His betrayal by Judas.

Lent is an old celebration of the Church.  A reference to it is found in the writings of Irenaeus to Pope Victor I late in the second century.  The Council of Nicea, held in 325, recognized the 40 days of Lent.  Church historians can state with accuracy that the celebration of Lent was an established part of the church year by the end of the fourth century - with its two primary purposes being prayer and fasting. Many Christians today observe the fasting aspect by denial of something.  I remember my grandmother gave up ice cream for Lent.  Others have given up sugar, or candy, or eating out.  The denial is good, but only if by the denial we can focus upon the seriousness of our relationship with the Lord.  If they are not coupled together, then the denial becomes just something else we do in the absence of meaning.

It was during this 40 days of prayer and fasting that those who desired to be baptized were examined.  One simply did not raise his or her hand and say, "I want to be baptized."  Baptism was not something done spontaneously.  It was done with intentionality and a deliberateness.  Baptism was then conducted on Easter Sunday morning.  What a glorious way to remember the resurrection.

So, should believers today celebrate Lent?  Excellent question.  I believe that we need to take our preparation for Holy Week and Easter as seriously as we do our preparation for Christmas.  I believe, whether we take 40 days or 4 days or 4 hours, we need to prepare our hearts to remember anew the great sacrifice that Jesus Christ made on our behalf.  For myself, during Lent I want to read at least one of the Gospel accounts of the Passion of our Lord.  I may also read Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 and reflect upon what His suffering was like.  I believe such a discipline can truly prepare us for the glorious news on Easter morning, "He is not here, He is risen just as He said He would!"

No comments: