Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Conference with No Regrets

On this snowy afternoon here in Minnesota - yes, we have had snow every day this month so far; I am beginning to feel like a character in Narnia during the reign of the White Witch, "It is always winter and never Christmas" - I would share with you something different.  Yes, I know there are a lot of news stories out there that we could focus attention upon: the commercials on the Superbowl - most were hardly worth watching; the continued riots in Egypt - will the people topple another government?; the announcement that President Obama will be traveling to Israel in March - one wonders about the timing of the visit, due to the weakening of Prime Minister Netanyahu's position due to recent Israeli elections; and of course there is always the dialogue about the economy.

Over the past weekend our church was a host site for the "No Regrets" Men's Conference that originated out of Elmbrook Church near Milwaukee, WI.  This was the first time we had ventured forth into a simulcast conference of this nature.  We had over 100 men who attended with several decisions for Christ and recommitments as the conference concluded.  The speakers were outstanding.  But, what really grabbed my attention were two things.  First, each of the speakers spoke of the fact that we are now engaged in a war with our culture.  Culture is moving quickly away from those principles that so many of us grew up with.  One just had to look at the Superbowl commercials to realize that morality has evaporated from society.  It is getting increasingly more difficult for Christian parents to guide their children into the paths of righteousness.  Pressures from schools, pressures from peers invade the lives of our children.  One of the speakers spoke of the need for the local church to be the place where people come for military training.  That really resonated with me.  Am I, as a pastor, truly equipping my flock to engage in a war against our culture, against the forces of evil that have been accepted as normal today?  Am I engaging the young dads in my church to truly disciple their boys and girls into the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong?  Am I providing them with tools that will help them to contend, along with their wives and children, for that faith that was once for all delivered to the saints?  One speaker spoke so powerfully from First Corinthians 16:13 - "act like men!"  I believe God is looking for men who will lead their families in a godly way.  We call it at our church, "Swimming Upstream."  It is never fun, but it does help to build character into the lives of our children. 

The second thing that grabbed my attention was the number of dads who brought their teen-aged sons with them.  I had wished I had had my own grandson with me that day.  These young men need to hear these strong words.  They need to know that what they hear from the lips of their own fathers is indeed truth.  If only one or two of those young men present this past Saturday commits himself to be a man of God, then one or two families will have been formed that will continue "swimming upstream." 

I would strongly encourage you, men, to contact your church about becoming a host site for the "No Regrets" Men's Conference on February 1, 2014.  You will have "no regrets" in doing so.

I have been asked if I would share some brief thoughts regarding Joel Richardson's newest book, titled "Mideast Beast."  The book has rocked the prophetic world in a new way.  The premise of the book is Richardson's belief that the Antichrist will be Islamic and come out of the old Islamic Caliphate.  I know what you are immediately thinking, as I had similar thoughts.  It can't be.  The Antichrist is coming out of a reconfigured and resurrected Roman Empire, therefore, he will be of some sort of European descent.  Yes, I have grown up with those arguments, in fact, I have spent years in studying the prophetic texts and could find nothing that would argue against that position.  Until now.  I have to say that Richardson's book has intrigued me.  It has begun to call into question all my previously held beliefs about the rise of the Antichrist.  Am I ready to fully endorse Richardson's argument?  Not yet, but I can't dismiss it...even though I would like to.  Such a dismissal would be easy to do.  But, he wrestles with those favorite passages and begins to unfold them in ways that cause one to say, "Hey, I think this makes sense."  Shocking - yes I know!  This is definitely a book that I will be re-reading and hopefully finding a small group to interact with during the re-reading.  If Richardson is correct, then that position truly changes the way we must look at End Times events.  I would be delighted to hear from any of you who have read the book.  What were your conclusions?  Has your position changed any?  Why or why not? 

Whether Richardson is right or wrong, of this we can be absolutely certain - God is still in control and we can place our hope and confidence every day in Him.  On that Rock I will stand until either the trumpet blows or the Lord calls me home.

No comments: