Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Message from a Strong Leader

I would like to write on something very different from past blogs. I would like to focus upon one passage found in the book of Nehemiah that God has recently impressed upon my heart. First, let me explain my interest in this book. At Buffalo Covenant Church - the place where I am serving as Preaching-Teaching Pastor - I have the privilege this fall of leading nearly 50 men through this book. It is a class we are calling Deep Waters, whose purpose is to prepare men for leadership roles in the home, in the workplace, in the community, as well as in the church. Nehemiah truly represents a man with profound leadership skills.

Let me set the background for this text. Nehemiah and the people have been working on rebuilding the walls around Jerusalem for nearly two months. It has not come without its share of trials and frustrations. There was the constant harassment of Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem and their friends (chapter 4). There were the internal difficulties associated with severe financial stress (chapter 5). And here in chapter 6, as the work nears its completion, the enemy makes one last determined effort to stop the work. This time they begin by inviting Nehemiah to attend a conference. Perhaps it is one on "Effective Wall-Building" or "How to Be More Tolerant to Your Neighbors." Nehemiah assumes that the purpose of this meeting was to bring him harm - and he was probably right.

But it is how he responded that has ignited my own heart. Listen to his words: "I am carrying on a great project and cannot go down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and go down to you?" (Nehemiah 6:3). To paraphrase: "I am really busy right now and cannot take time off. Why don't you give me a call in a week or so?"

I have found that one of Satan's most effective tools is to get us sidetracked from what our real purpose and mission is. We lose sight of our vision. Without vision leadership fails and people soon perish. Because Nehemiah was driven by his vision of a city surrounded with solid walls and strong gates, he could refuse an invitation that, if not costing him his life, certainly would have delayed the completion of the project. Nehemiah kept his focus on his vision.

I believe one of the reasons why many churches are in trouble today is because they have lost their vision. I also believe a lost vision is the reason why America is headed in the wrong direction. We have forgotten why our nation was founded 235 years ago. We talk about greatness, but we have lost the vision of what generated that greatness.

I am grateful that Nehemiah never lost sight of the vision within his mind and his heart. And I am confident that the people of Jerusalem were equally grateful. Sometimes, as leaders, we need to say "no" in order to complete the work God has given to us.

I would encourage you to work slowly through this amazing book. I know that God will touch your heart with the life of this giant of a leader.

2 comments:

Karl said...

Pastor Max,

Great message and I found it helpful in my own live.

God Bless you,

Karl

Steven and Calli said...

Love your insight Pastor Max. Thanks for sharing.