Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Change - Part of Life

"Change" - this seems to be the watchword of our times. It definitely was the theme of the last presidential election. Now we are getting the change we voted for. Change - is the subliminal thought behind every television, magazine, or billboard ad. Change from Coke to Pepsi; from Pizza Hut to Domino's; from Chevy to Ford. Change - is a part of life.

I reflect upon the many changes that have taken place in my lifetime. We have gone from steam powered locomotives to diesel trains to hardly any trains at all. (I remember, as a boy, we used to go down to the local train station on the weekends to watch the trains come in; and when the first diesel came through town, it was a celebration). We have gone from propeller driven airplanes to jets to jumbo-planes capable of carrying hundreds of people to rockets taking people deep into space. We have gone from a telephone system where you went through a live operator, whom you got to know, to rotary dialing, then to touch-tone dialing, and now to a phone that will give you news, weather, and sports. There are times when I feel like I have been victimized by change. I want things to stay the same...at least for a few hours anyway.

Our society has changed. Social mores that were once held in high esteem are now passe. What was once considered to be wrong is now acceptable behavior. Words that I grew up knowing to mean one thing, now mean something entirely different; think how the word "gay" has changed.

And we have experienced change in our churches. Worship styles have changed. Pastoral ministry has changed. And even community life within the church has changed. I have to be honest, there are times when I feel like I am on the "outside looking in." This is not the church that I grew up in.

And so I scream, at least once or twice a week, if not more often, "Is there someplace where I can go where change is put on the back shelf, at least for a while?" I then turn to the Bible and find solace in the familiar, yet never-changing stories it provides. Every time, David always defeats Goliath. Every time, Jesus always raises Lazarus from the dead. Every time, Easter always follows Good Friday. The truths of the Scripture never change. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. My understanding of Him may change and, hopefully does change; but He never changes.

Change - I guess it is something we just continue to live with. It probably will not slow down, and I probably will never keep up. I'll leave that for my grandchildren. But I can rest upon the unchanging character of God and let Him be my Rock in the midst of changing times.

No comments: