Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Stimulus Bill: To Stimulate What?

Yesterday President Obama signed into law the largest publicly funded spending bill ever seen in American history. When you factor in the interest that will be paid on this debt the amount soars to over $1.3 trillion. Now I don't know about you, but my mind doesn't do well with numbers that large. But it is a lot of money...which, by the way, our country simply does not have stashed in a bank somewhere. No...now we will have to borrow that money from someone else...probably the Chinese or the Saudis. Those two nations already hold enough of our debt that, if they decided to ask for their money back, ... well, you think General Motors has problems.

Now you might be saying, "Max, are you against helping people out? Don't you want new jobs to be created?" I am not against helping people out, nor am I against new jobs. I am just against using the federal government as the tool for the creation of those jobs. I am struggling to find a paragraph within the United State Constitution that declares it is the function of the government to ensure that everyone has a job. It is not there. The matter of employment is a function of private enterprise. Governmental involvement always includes this disclaimer: "strings attached." And somehow those "strings" are detrimental to private enterprise.

Should we allow businesses to fail? What about General Motors and Chrysler? Let me respond by asking you, "Should we have bailed out the struggling airline industry?" If we had, perhaps we would still see airplanes flying the Eastern and TWA symbol, just to name a couple. No, we allowed the market to determine which airlines would survive. Perhaps that is what we need to do with the auto industry. Perhaps we don't need three major car manufacturers in America any longer. Perhaps we can get by with two domestic producers. Historically the market has always corrected itself. But I fear that governmental interference now has changed how the market will operate forever.

A second problem I have with this "stimulus bill" is that it continues to feed our growing entitlement mentality. If I have a problem...don't try to solve it myself...ask the government to solve it for me. I have taken out a bad mortgage. Instead of seeking to work with my creditors to resolve the matter...I just look for a government bailout. Where has the American work initiative gone? Where have those principles that once made America the hardest working and most productive nation on the planet gone? We have become complacent because, after all, the government will take care of us.

Will this huge spending bill work? According to a recent Rasmussen poll, 70% of Americans believe it will not! It is interesting to listen to even those who voted for the bill who are now having second thoughts about its success. It seems to me that the only thing this "stimulus bill" truly can guarantee is a greater deficit, resulting in an increase tax burden upon my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Before I close I know that some of you are asking this question: What does this have to do with end-times? Simply this: The Bible tells us that in the end times there will be a one-world government that will dictate who can operate businesses, including manufacturing and selling. Is this "stimulus bill" part of that one-world plan? I am not sure, but it is a step in that direction; which can only mean that I need to be alert and aware because the King is coming!

No comments: