Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thrills of a Religion or the Cost of a Relationship

This past week I was reading in a devotional book titled, A Year with C.S. Lewis, and I came to the one for January 6. There Lewis describes how many people want to create a God who, when you switch it on when you want to, will not bother you. That way we can get "all the thrills of religion and none of the cost."

That same morning I was reading from Matthew 10 where Jesus, in sending out the Twelve, related to them that they should expect opposition. He told them, "When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another," and "do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." And, finally He shared, "and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Jesus did not call us into a relationship that has no cost. Certainly the image of a cross denoted a cost. In so many parts of the world, believers know what it means to pay a cost to follow the Lord Jesus. I ask myself this question: Will this be the year that God will begin asking American believers to pay a cost? I guess the question I need to ask myself is this: Will I be willing to pay that cost?

No comments: