Wednesday, January 16, 2008

One of God's Greatest Gifts

We have recently concluded a season where the focus of many was upon the receiving of gifts. Shirts, sweaters, books, DVDs, and gift cards - so you can purchase your own gift - might have been among those you received. Some gifts were practical, while others will sit upon a shelf.

Speaking of gifts, if I were to ask you - "What is God's greatest gift to you?" - how would you answer? Of course you would begin by saying it was salvation found in Jesus Christ, for He truly was and is God's unspeakable gift to us. But, aside from Jesus, what do you consider to be that greatest gift? Some of you will be tempted to say love, while others will say peace, and still others joy. All are good and I am grateful for each one.

But, lately, I have become very grateful for God's gift of forgiveness. It has been interesting how that topic has come up this past week: in a luncheon conversation with a pastoral friend of many years, in a small group discussion, and in a dialogue over the telephone with a former student. We are a forgiven people. God not only forgives us...He also forgets our sins (Isaiah 43:25). God casts our sins behind His back (Isaiah 38:17)...and guess what? God never turns around to see what is behind Him.

Because I am forgiven I can forgive my brothers even up to seventy "sevens" of time (Matthew 18:22). Because I am forgiven I can forgive myself and accept myself as God has accepted me. David cried out to God, "Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean" (Psalm 51:7). In other words David is saying, "I know I am clean because God has cleansed me."

To be forgiven completely by God...now that is a gift that cannot remain upon a shelf. But it a gift that I can and must use every day of my life. It is one of God's greatest gifts.

No comments: