Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Lesson from the Neighbor's Front Yard

It was a gray, cloudy morning with threats of rain.  As I looked from the window in the kitchen, I noticed a pair of robins busy cleaning up the dried remains from last years hostas and daylilies.  I could see that it was nest-building time and they were going to have a lovely home for their little brood.  I stepped out the front door to retrieve the morning paper and the beautiful song of a cardinal lightened my footsteps.  I searched but could not locate his presence, but his song filled my heart with joy.  In spite of the clouds, the birds were reminding me that this was another day the Lord had made and my purpose was to rejoice and be glad in it.  I have found that nature has a way of directing us that way if only we would stop long enough to really listen to its song.


I opened the garage door and was backing the car down the drive way when I noticed something that caught my eye.  While gazing in the rear-view mirror, I saw a small hawk come swooping down, landing in the neighbor's yard across the street.  I had seen hawks flying over our neighborhood before, but had seen nothing like this.  I paused on the street to see what might have caused this scene to have occurred.  There to my amazement was this hawk perched on top of a blackbird which had been pinned to the ground by the hawk's talons.  The birds wings were flapping in a desperate attempt to escape, but, as I watched, I knew how this scene would end.  The hawk looked around almost with a sense of pride at his accomplishments - almost as if it was saying to anyone who was looking, "Hey, don't mess with me!"  And soon that sharply hooked beak was tearing into that little blackbird.  And it was over! 


Now I know that scene is played out countless times during the course of a day.  Biologists describe this as the "food chain" whereby the smaller and weaker provide food for the larger and stronger.  As I watched I wondered about that pair of robins building their little home to raise their babies.  Would any of their offspring become an early breakfast for another hawk?  Or would they survive unscathed in the world around them? 


As I watched that scene in my neighbor's yard, I was struck with the thought that there were some spiritual lessons I needed to be reminded of.  First, that hawk was always on the prowl for something to devour and so was always looking for a victim.  I was reminded of that warning given by the Apostle Peter: "Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).  Satan never takes a holiday!  Satan is never satisfied!  He is always looking for one more victim, one more person whose life he can destroy.  And, just as that hawk made little sound as it swooped upon that little blackbird, so, too, Satan often attacks us with stealth. 


Second, there is a need to always be alert.  I don't know what was going through the mind of that little blackbird that morning, but perhaps he was thinking that all was well.  Perhaps he had chosen to venture off from the rest of the flock to explore life on his own.  But he was not aware of the dangers that lurked in the skies above him and, as a consequence, paid the severe consequences.  Friends, Peter warns us that we, too, are to be on the alert.  We are to pay attention to the signs around us.  We are to know the Truth.  We are to never compromise our convictions and beliefs.  The Apostle Paul expressed a similar warning with these words: "Avoid every kind of evil" (1 Thessalonians 5:22). 


Third, the consequences of sin are disastrous and often deadly.  And, it is the little sins that can be the most deadly.  Many a recovering alcoholic has shared with me, "If only I had never taken that first drink."  How we need to pray that God would guard the little things in our lives. 


Graciously, for that little blackbird, the end came rather quickly.  But, as I reflected upon many people whose stories I have known, the pain and suffering of a bad choice or a wrong decision can linger for years.  Yet how gracious is our God to bring the healing we need and the forgiveness that we don't deserve. 


On another note, I believe we are seeing the alignment of the nations for Ezekiel's War and for the closing Armageddon.  Russia and Iran have strengthened ties both politically and militarily when it comes to Syria and the Assad regime.  Turkey has just approved the broadening of powers to be granted to President Erdogan which will make that country a marginal dictatorship.  Turkey has straddled the fence between East and West for years, but will soon have to make a choice.  The Bible tells us that it will chose the East and the alliance with Russia and Iran.  And then there are the lingering questions about North Korea and China.  Will China rein in that rogue nation to its north?  Or will that alignment strengthen as North Korea becomes part of that vast army from the East that will invade Israel as part of Armageddon?  The sabers are rattling all around us.  Tensions are high.  Economies teeter.  Uncertainty abounds.  Yet, of this we are most assured: God is still in control!  How we need to view our world through the lens of Scripture.  Keep your eyes upon what is happening in the world around you, but always keep your ears tuned to hear the blast from the trumpet.  I believe the summons to the great marriage feast will soon be given.  Are you ready?

No comments: