Friday, March 31, 2017

Memories

This is a Friday edition of my weekly blog.  For two days this past week I was down in my home town helping to clean out Mom's apartment.  It has been sold and we needed to get it ready for the new tenants.  I joined my sister from California, my sister from Chicago, and my brother from Colorado as we began the process of sorting through a lot of Mom's things.  Her furniture was disbursed quickly after her funeral to grandchildren.  But there are always those things that beg the question, "Should this be saved or not?"  In many cases, those were not easy questions to answer.


It was a cold, rainy, windy day as we sorted through old pictures.  The winds howled driving the rain against the windows.  Five piles were created - one for each of the siblings.  Graduation and wedding pictures - knew right where to put those.  Grandchildren and great-grandchildren - also dispatched with ease.  But then came those pictures that were "questionable."  What do you do with old family vacation pictures?  How many pictures of zoo animals did we want to save?  How many pictures of tree-covered mountainsides?  How many pictures of blooming plants in an arboretum?  Yet, each picture told a story.  It brought back memories of different times. 


The pictures were just black and white snapshots and sometimes were so small it was hard to see detail.  Often these words were heard, "Hey, do you remember?"  And we would stop and share happy memories.  Of times in Colorado visiting our grandmother.  Of times in Upper Michigan sitting in a small boat trying to catch fish - the pictures showed no fish, but lots of baling water out of the boat.  Of times in Washington DC the summer before the Kennedy assassination.  Of stopping at an uncle and aunt's home in Wisconsin and having Uncle Les take us down to the nearby candy shop where we could pretty much get what we wanted, to the chagrin of Mom and Dad.  Oh the memories from the past.  Happy memories for which we are very grateful.  But, we could not possibly save all those pictures.  So many of them, after their story was relived, were discarded forever.


Other pictures told the story of family.  Pictures with grandparents.  Pictures with cousins.  With pictures with friends who have long since passed into eternity.  Those names are forever etched into our memories.  They helped us celebrate birthdays and graduations and special moments.  Those friends modeled for us what a walk with Jesus Christ should be like.  It is amazing how some people are so part of who we are.  A picture that brought back a treasury of memories that seemed as fresh as yesterday.  How could those people be cast upon the discard pile?  They could not!  They are a part of the story of our family.  It is hoped that someday a book will be created that will tell our family's story.  And in that story, will be their stories. 


As the evening entered its waning hours, the final pictures were viewed.  The final memories were recited.  The final decisions were made.  And, as I left yesterday morning, knowing I would not ever return to Mom's place she called home these past nearly 11 years, I was excited over the memories God had allowed me to participate in these past 70 years.  I treasure my family - my brothers and sisters.  I treasure the fact that I had a godly father and mother who instilled a deep faith within each of us.  They practiced faith@home before such a concept had been conceived.  I treasure the deep love they had for us and for our families.  How they loved their grandchildren and their great-grandchildren!  Yes, a chapter in my life has been closed.  But I am grateful for the memories.


I am reminded of how many times God encouraged His children to stop and to remember.  Remember all I have done for you.  Remember all you have experienced of My presence and power.  Remember the many goodnesses I have done for you.  Friends, God created our minds with the amazing ability to remember because God knew the value of memories.  Yes, I know that for some, memories can be painful; but praise God for His healing.  As the prophet Joel says, "God restores the years the locusts have eaten."  Praise God for that powerful truth.


My friends, I would encourage you to stop for a few moments this weekend and take some time just to remember.  Remember old friends and new ones.  Remember family moments.  But, more importantly, remember the blessings of God.  And, as you draw your time of remembering to a close, thank God for the ability to remember.  It is a gift from Him.   

No comments: