Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Peter's Story; Brokennes Before Blessing

This past Sunday I had the wonderful experience of preaching the Word of God in our city park here in Buffalo.  For the past decade or so, our church has had the wonderful privilege of sharing in a community worship service at the close of our community celebration known as "Buffalo Days."  It was a bright beautiful Sunday morning.  The 5K race had just concluded near the band-shell from where the service would be conducted.  Hundreds of people came with their folding chairs and blankets, along with bottles of water, ready for a time of celebration before God.  Our Worship Team had led in some exciting songs of praise and God responded with the quiet whispers of a breeze through the tops of the trees lining the hillsides. 

I had felt led of God to preach on the story of Peter, one of my favorite people from the New Testament.  As I have had the opportunity over the past several years of studying and teaching the life of Peter, I have noticed some traits that characterized his life.  He was a man in whom Jesus Christ saw a great deal of potential because when Jesus first meets Peter, as recorded for us in John 1:40-42, He says this about Simon, "'You are Simon son of John.  You will be called Cephas' (which, when translated, is Peter)."  And what does the name Cephas mean?  It means "the rock."  Okay, that must mean that Jesus saw something instantly in Peter that was positive. 

But, as the story of Peter unfolds in the Gospels, do we see Peter as "the rock?"  Hardly.  We see, instead, a man who barks out orders to others, even to Jesus.  In Luke 5:8, after hearing Jesus preach from his boat and after experienced the miraculous catch of fish, all Peter could do was issue a command to Jesus, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man."  Then, in Matthew 14:22-36, in that most familiar story of Jesus walking on the water, we again hear commands from the lips of Peter, "Lord, if it is you, tell me to come to you on the water."  To put it another way, "Lord, I am commanding you to command me to come to you on the water."  And so, Peter jumps out of the boat - I cannot imagine Peter getting out of the boat any other way, can you? - and begins walking to Jesus.  Of course, he takes his eyes off Jesus and begins to sink into the Lake, whereupon he barks out another command, "Lord, save me!"  We are beginning to see that Peter is very adept at ordering others around.

But, let us continue with another scene from his life's story.  We turn to Matthew 16:13-23, another familiar scene of Jesus traveling in the area of Caesarea Philippi.  Now this town was one of the most pagan towns in all of Galilee.  I have been there on many occasions and I still get a sense of the evil that was perpetrated there in the celebration of Pan, the Greek god whose worship included all types of drunkenness and sexual energies.  We are familiar with Peter's bold declaration that "Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God."  Even Jesus commends Peter for this statement, although reminding Peter that this was a revelation to him from God.  Then the text tells us that Jesus began to describe His impending death.  Here is where Peter becomes Peter once again.  Matthew records that Peter took Jesus aside and rebuked Him.  His words, "Never, Lord.  This shall never happen to you!"  Wow!  What a bold, arrogant statement for Peter to make!  Doesn't this pattern fit with what we have seen of Peter before?  He is in charge.  He is in control.  And now he is giving out more orders to Jesus.  Perhaps he feels that he has a large debt to repay to Jesus because Jesus rescued him from drowning.  But, whatever his rationale, Jesus, in turn, rebukes Peter.  Yet, as the story of those final weeks and months of Jesus life begin to unfold, this scene is not one that we should soon forget, nor those words from the lips of Peter.

One final scene to share with you as a way of introducing ourselves to Peter.  It is found Matthew 26:32-35, a scene within the walls of what became known as The Upper Room.  The mood in the room was changed as Jesus began to describe the events that would soon occur and of His impending death and then resurrection.  He has stated that one of the disciples would betray Him.  That got everyone's attention.  Jesus also said that all of His disciples would scatter and leave Jesus alone.  Peter then makes a rather bold promise, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.  Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you."  This came after Jesus had said to Peter that before the rooster crowed, Peter would deny Jesus three times.  Again, Peter is seen as being in charge.  He declares that he would in control of the events that were about to transpire that evening.  He, and not Jesus.

But, the arrogance, the self-assuredness, the feelings of being in control, were soon to be wiped away with the harsh hand of reality.  All four Gospels record the story of Peter's undoing that night, but there is a moment, in Luke's account, that is so poignant.  It is found in Luke 22:54-62.  The fascade that been Peter began to unravel with the accusations of a little servant girl, followed by those of two others.  Each time, Peter's denial became a little more boisterous, until finally the rooster crowed.  That is when Luke shares with us these words, "The Lord, turned and looked straight at Peter.  Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him."  This was the moment of Peter's brokenness.  This was the moment when the real Peter was revealed.  Peter went from being in charge to being no longer in control, even of himself.  Peter went and wept bitterly.  These were the tears of failure.  These were the tears of brokenness.  These were tears of an awareness that he was no longer in charge. 

Friends, how many times have you been like Peter?  I know I have lost track of all the times I have acted as did Peter.  I remember many a Sunday of entering into the pulpit to preach relying upon just my study and my abilities.  I remember many a time I entered into a classroom thinking to myself, "Max, you really have got it tonight."  I remember many times walking into a board meeting with my notes in hand because I was in charge.  And yet, as I look back upon those moments, there was "failure" written in large letters.  That message did not go well.  That teaching was a disaster.  And that board meeting was one that I often have tried to forget.  You see, I understand Peter.  I have walked in his shoes.  The brokenness is not fun, but it is necessary if Peter is to become "Peter."

I know this blog is getting long, but bear with me for one more scene in Peter's incredible journey to becoming "the rock."  It is found in John 21:15-17.  I love this scene.  I have experienced it often in my own spiritual life.  Peter is back fishing, although he is not very good at it.  He feels like a total failure.  Then he has this precious encounter with Jesus.  And through a dialogue that is rich in its use of the word "love" (which, by the way, is totally not present in our English translation, as the words for "love" which Jesus uses - a godlike love; and which Peter uses - a human, friendship love - are totally different) Peter begins to understand that he cannot escape the love that Jesus has for him.  Jesus fully accepted Peter where he was.  And He has done the same with me - often, I am afraid to say. 

The lesson I have learned from Peter's life is this: Brokenness often precedes the blessing.  I must be emptied of myself, of my arrogance, of my self-assuredness, of my "I can do this" attitude in order to be filled with the presence of Jesus Christ.  "I" don't want to get in the way of what God wants "me" to become.  That's what I shared this past Sunday in that city park in Buffalo, MN.  I can only pray that those seeds God planted with bring forth fruit in His timing. 

Before I close I want to refer you to an excellent article written by Greg Gutfeld, one of the hosts on the Fox News Channel.  It is rather long, but an important article to read.  You can find it at: www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/06/02/gutfeld-orlando-s-doom-the-most-depressing-article-you-will-ever-share.  Greg is right on the money. 

No comments: