Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Thanksgiving Praise

Tis the Eve before Thanksgiving Day.  A light coating of snow dots the landscape of the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities, reminding one of the words to that old Thanksgiving song: "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go; the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the white and drifting snow..." 


So, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving Day?  I am grateful that I live in the United States.  It is not a perfect nation - the riots in Ferguson, MO the past two nights illustrate those imperfections.  But America is still a blessed nation.  Our church sent a short term missions team that just returned from Ethiopia this past Sunday.  For some on that team it was the first time they saw the "third world" up close and personal.  Poverty and disease were common sights.  Children, who once slept on dirt floors upon straw mats, celebrating that they could now sleep in a bed with a mattress.  Oh, there is a lot I would like to see changed in our nation but I am grateful to God that this is my homeland.


I am grateful for family this Thanksgiving Day.  I am blessed to have a bride who has been my helpmate and closest friend for over 45 years.  I am grateful for my son and my two daughters and their families who have experienced the presence of God this past year as our daughter-in-law slipped into eternity.  But God has been good.  I am grateful for the music my grandchildren bring into my life - sometimes they could play a little quieter, but the music touches my heart.  I am grateful for their abilities to express themselves whether it is through drama, paints, hitting a home run, or putting the ball through the hoop.  I am grateful that my oldest grandson was privileged to go hunting with his Uncle Dan and his Dad, and for the second year in a row, he got a big buck.  And I am grateful that my children and grandchildren all love the Lord and have a desire to serve Him. 


I am grateful for my church family.  I feel incredibly blessed to serve one of the greatest churches in Minnesota.  I have the privilege of working alongside one of the best ministry staffs a pastor could ever hope to have.  What a carrying family Buffalo Covenant is.  And I am grateful that they have the same hunger and passion that I have - to go deeper into the Word of God and to love Him better and to serve Him with more joy and gladness. 


For the past several years I have challenged my church family to read Psalm 103 and Ephesians 1 in order to prepare their hearts for Thanksgiving.  Both David, in Psalm 103, and Paul, in Ephesians 1, identify several things for which we should give thanks: for our salvation - that God chose us and adopted us; for the forgiveness of sins - as far as the east is from the west; that God understands who we are - we are but dust, but He cares for us; for the coming inheritance which is ours through the promise of the Holy Spirit.  Friends, I would encourage you to sit down tonight or tomorrow - take a few quiet moments for yourself - and read Psalm 103 and Ephesians 1.  If those two passages of scripture do not ignite thoughts of thanksgiving to God within your heart, then you have a deeper problem that needs attention. 


So, "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me; bless His holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits."  May your time of thanksgiving be a truly blessed one as you share with family and friends.  God is good all the time! 

No comments: