Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thoughts about God

I know there is a lot going on in the world right now.  Monday is the second inauguration of President Obama and the uncertainty of what the next four years will hold for our nation.  But, as I watch his cabinet appointments, I have to say that I am concerned as I believe we are seeing his agenda come to the fore.  Then Tuesday is the national election in Israel with the formation of a new government there.  More uncertainty.  The fiscal cliff looms ahead yet again, but has been lost in the panic of gun-control that now has center stage. 

May I focus our thoughts this week in a totally different direction?  Thanks.  This past Sunday I preached a message titled, "So, What Do YOU Believe about...God?"  It was the second in a series I am preaching about our church's new statement of faith.  If you are interested in hearing the message in its entirety, you can go to our website www.buffalocov.org and the link will be on the home page. 

As I had time to think about the immensity and awesomeness of God, the things of this world that we seem to focus our time upon suddenly pale into insignificance.  I know this is a refresher for most of you, but let me just cite a couple of truths about God that we need to know in these uncertain days.

First, God is omnipotent.  Listen to these words of Jesus, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).  Did you get that?  "With God all things are possible."  There is simply nothing too difficult for God to do.  He can part the waves of a Red Sea.  He can flatten the walls of a Jericho.  He can feed the multitudes with five loaves of bread and two fish.  He can bring the dead back to life.  There is absolutely nothing God cannot do for you.  You know that heavy load you are carrying right now...it is not too heavy for God to carry.  That problem that seems almost overwhelming right now...is just a tiny speck to our awesome God.  There is nothing in your life right now that God is incapable of solving or leading you through.  I don't know about you, but that is an incredible thought that brings peace and hope.

Second, God is omniscient.  I love these words from the pen of David: "You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD" (Psalm 139:2-4).  There is nothing God does not know about you and me.  There is nothing in your life or my life that can be kept secret from God.  I don't know about you but I find that very refreshing.  God simply knows me...He knows you.  And, you know what, He has your very best in mind.

Third, God is love.  The Apostle John, often described as "the apostle of love," said: "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love" (1 John 4:8).  Don't you find that incredibly awesome.  God loves you!  God loves me!  And it is a love that is not based on what you or I have done.  It is simply based on who we are!  Oh to just rest in that love.  I love the words to that great hymn written by George Matheson in 1882 on the eve of his sister's wedding as he remembered his days in college years before when the lady to whom he was engaged to be married said, "I cannot be married to a blind man" and walked away.  Perhaps as Pastor Matheson thought of his heartache, he was drawn to an even deeper love:
      "O Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee;
      I give Thee back the life I owe, That in Thine ocean depths its flow May richer, fuller be.

      "O Light that foll'west all my way, I yield my flick'ring torch to Thee;
      My heart restores the borrowed ray, That in Thy sunshine's blaze its day May brighter, fairer be.

      "O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to Thee;
      I trace the rainbow through the rain, And feel the promise is not vain That morn shall tearless be.

      "O Cross that liftest up my head, I dare not ask to fly from Thee;
      I lay in dust life's glory dead, And from the ground there blossoms red Life that shall endless be."

I don't know about you, but when I begin to focus upon God somehow that day just seems to go better.  And to think that He is still sitting upon His throne.  So I just need to trust Him more and more.  I need to get to know Him better.  I need to rest in His care more often. 

I closed my message this past Sunday with a quote attributed to a father giving advice to his son.  It comes from the first century and the father's name is Paternus.  That is all we know about him...except for this statement he gave to his son.  My friends, it is advice I need to share with my children and my grandchildren; you need to share it with your children and grandchildren.  I read this and asked myself this question: Why don't we share words like this with our kids today?  Perhaps it is because our walk with God is not as was that of Paternus.  But I leave these ancient words of advice with you at the beginning of this near year:
     "First of all, my child, think magnificently of God.  Magnify His providence; adore His power;  
     pray to Him frequently and incessantly.  Bear Him always in your mind.  Teach your thoughts to
     reverence Him in every place for there is no place where He is not.  Therefore, my child, fear and
     worship and love God; first and last, think magnificently of Him!" 
Great advice for all of us, don't you think?

No comments: