Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another Cycle of Revenge?

Today a suitcase bomb was exploded near the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem. Two buses, filled with students and market shoppers were heavily damaged resulting in a 59-year old woman being killed and approximately 30 others wounded, some seriously. No one has claimed responsibility for this act of terrorism - the first attack upon an Israeli bus since 2004 - but suspects include Hamas, Hamas, and Hamas. Also, in recent days Hamas has stepped up its rocket assaults from the Gaza Strip, launching dozens of rockets and mortar shells. Most of these have caused very little damage.

Why this sudden increase of attacks? Let me share a statement from the "Daily Israel Report" published by the IsraelNationalNews.com: "Hamas has considerably stepped up its missile attacks on Israeli civilians in the past week. Some analysts see the belligerence as an attempt to divert Gazans' attention away from demonstrations in favor of a reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. [My note: Fatah is the organization founded by Yasir Arafat and is presently in control of the West Bank areas of Judea and Samaria. Fatah is under the leadership of Mahmoud Abbas. Recently Abbas invited Hamas to join in elections in all the Palestinian Authority territories this summer, but Hamas has refused]. Others see it as a result of Hamas' heightened confidence following recent events in Egypt. [My note: Hamas has long hoped that the Muslim Brotherhood would gain control in Egypt and establish an Islamic government there]. Still others see it as an attempt to divert the civil rights denied Gazan population, especially the Fatah sympathizers among them, from joining the wave of popular uprisings throughout the Middle East." Perhaps it is a combination of all three. How does Hamas get attention? It is only by attacking Israel.

What will be Israel's response? My guess is that they will conduct some surgical air attacks deep into the Gaza Strip. If the attacks persist, the Netanyahu government might even consider a second counter-attack such as Operation Cast Lead in 2009.

As I read the reports coming out of Jerusalem today, my heart was saddened at the loss of life and how almost effortlessly some can seek to destroy life. Now more lives will be taken in retaliation.

I am reminded of the tragic biblical story of Samson, really a study in terrorism. Samson's response to the Philistines was one of revenge, followed by the Philistines acting in a greater manner of savagery. Of course, that angered Samson, so he responded by destroying fields. Then the Philistines had to counter that. You can read the story in Judges 14-16. It is sad. Even when he died, Samson was still seeking retaliation for the taking of his eyes. This cyle of retaliation and revenge occurs when one of the parties refuses to sit down and dialogue about differences and how those can be resolved. In the present case, Hamas has refused the dialogue. Their focus - like that of the Philistines - was to seek the destruction of Israel. [One could say that that was Samson's focus - the destruction of the Philistines].

Just another reminder of how we need to pray for peace to come to Jerusalem.

Speaking of Jerusalem, next Wednesday Marlys and I will be taking a group of 40 others to Israel. Am I excited? Yes. Am I nervous? No. But I know our group will greatly appreciate your prayers for us those days we are in Israel. The dates are March 30-April 12. Upon my return I will give you a firsthand report of what God is doing there in that land. My next blog posting will be on April 13. Until then, keep looking up - our redemption is getting closer.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I am so excited for this group to go. I know that you will have a great time. I look forward to hearing about the trip and the things God is doing over there. Praying that you will be blessed with an amazing time.

Amy said...

Max, I so love to read your blogs. I don't know if it comes from your insight when I was in your class, or if it's just because you know how to explain things in a way I can always understand... either way... it's just always nice to be able to get your perspective...

In regard to your trip ~ my prayers will continue daily for you and the group. Enjoy your time away. I feel peace for you all, even in the midst of what we see on the news. Amnon will keep you safe. Be blessed.

SHALOM!