Wednesday, December 15, 2010

An Ancient Rabbi, Tevet, and Christmas

I want to write about something entirely different for most of us - The Tenth of Tevet. I know what you are saying, "What is a Tevet?" Tevet is the fourth month of the Jewish Civil Calender. (You need to remember that there are two calendars our Jewish friends follow: the civil calendar which begins with Rosh Hashana in the fall, and the religious calendar which begins with Passover in the spring).

I know you are really scratching your head now: What significant event happened on the Tenth of Tevet? Great question. The answer is that it was on that date that King Nebuchadnezzar began his siege of Jerusalem which would eventuate in the destruction of the city and the Temple. Because it was just the first day of the siege very little damage was done and no one was killed that we know about. So, why is it celebrated? It is because of the eventuality that the siege caused: the Temple's destruction and the exile of the Jewish people into captivity in Babylon.

What intrigued me as I read about this fast-day was the story of one of the rabbis of those days. His name was Rav Chiyah. The story is told that he knew the impending outcome of the siege. So he killed a deer, tanned its hide and made one copy of each of the five books of the Torah. He then gave one book to each of five children he had selected. He taught each child that book which they had received. Then he instructed them to teach one another what they had been taught. He believed that you could only teach what you yourself had been taught.

As I read this story, the truth hit me that I have a responsibility to share with others what I have learned. I cannot share what I do not know - that would be perpetuating ignorance, and this world has more than enough ignorance. I was reminded of the words of Peter and John as they approached the Temple and saw the beggar on the steps begging alms. You remember what Peter said: "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk" (Acts 3:6). "What I have I give to you." What I have been taught is what I can share with others. What I have mined of God's Word for myself is what I can share with another.

O the wisdom of Rav Chiyah. He taught each child one book. They, in turn, taught that one book to the other four. Then those five could teach another five children those five books. And so the multiplication begins.

Here at Village Schools this truth energizes us. What you learn you are to share with others. What you experience is yours, not just to keep, but to share.

This Christmas Season, let me ask you, what are you sharing? What are you imparting to others? What special memories of Christmas can you relate to others?

No comments: