Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What's That In Your Hand?

In my devotional reading this morning - and, as I shared with you last week, I am following the Jewish reading of the Pentateuch - I came across a very interesting statement by God. It is found in Exodus 23:15 - "No one is to appear before me empty-handed."

Now this command is found in the midst of a section describing the three annual pilgrimage feasts - those celebrations that required the attendance of all Jewish males, first at Shiloh where the Tabernacle resided, then at Jerusalem after the construction of the Temple. You might remember that the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which followed Passover, marked the beginning of the barley harvest; the Feast of Harvest or Shavuot marked the beginning of the wheat harvest; and the Feast of Tabernacles or Sukkot in the fall of the year marked the start of the grape and olive harvests. God was saying to Israel and to all future pilgrims: When you come to celebrate, don't forget to bring something, namely the first fruits.

As I reflected upon this thought - "No one is to appear before me empty-handed" - I realized it had been a very long time since I had pondered what I bring into the presence of God. I know that we begin very empty-handed as there is nothing we have that God desires. I remember the prophet Isaiah saying that even our good deeds are considered as filthy garments before God (Isaiah 64:6). The word that Isaiah uses is the Hebrew term for a "menstrual cloth." Pretty graphic phrase, don't you think! In other words, I have nothing. Yet, that is how God accepts us...with nothing. We come empty-handed so that we might receive from Him life abundant and eternal.

But, that is merely the beginning. Yet, sadly, for many believers, they continue to approach God with empty-hands. They are always ready to receive from God, but never consider returning to God.

What can I give to God? Israel brought physical fruits and grains, representative of their labors in the fields and vineyards. Such produce was a sign of praise for what God had provided so the fruits and grains could grow. Yes, at times I can present to God something physical. Often it is in the form of money. Sometimes it is in the form of time given to help others or to serve God well.

What else can I give to Him? I can give Him my schedule. Being a type-A personality, I guard my schedule pretty tightly. But God wants that schedule. And so I bring to Him my availability to be used as He sees fit. I can also bring to Him an honest heart. The more I read the Psalms, the more convinced I become that honesty before God is difficult. We do a lot of pretending that all is well, when our hearts are nearly breaking.

A grandchild is heard to exclaim, "Grandma, what did you bring me?" And so God asks, "Max, what did you bring Me?" I trust that it is not too often merely empty hands.

1 comment:

Kevin Sorensen said...

Great thought, Max. I appreciate the help in my own thinking.

One verse that did come to mind is Psalm 116.13, which says:

I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD

The salvation is clearly not ours to bring unless we have received it first from the hand of God. But with this imagery of coming and lifting up a cup because it needs filling comes a marvelous opportunity to bring to God our greatest need: delighting in Him for what only He can give.

So, I can bring my money (offerings). I can bring my time (stewardship, service, ministry). And I can bring my great need of Him.