Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A True Mountaintop Experience

For the last two days I have had the rich privilege of sharing the Word of God with an exciting group of Senior Adults. We have been hosted at a beautiful facility in Northern Minnesota - Camp Shamineau - and have enjoyed wonderful times of fellowship.

As one who is growing older, soon to join the ranks of those to whom I was sharing the Word - but I guess we are all growing older, aren't we? - and as I listened to their hearts cry out as to why their churches were abandoning them, my heart was drawn to the fact that these people still have many gifts and abilities they want to share. Although their energy levels are not what they once were, the passions for service are perhaps even deeper than they once were. These men and women have been the backbone of many local churches for many years. And yes, they have relinquished the reins of leadership to those they have mentored, but why should they feel alienated from their own churches?

As I was returning from those two days my heart cried out to God as to why it is so easy to put Senior Adults "on the shelf." We have taken worship away from them. I watched these people those days as they sang the great old hymns of the Church. No, they could not stand for 20 minutes at a time. But how their faces lit-up as they sang songs like "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty" and "Because He Lives I can face tomorrow!" These were songs that had spoken to their hearts with blessings in the past and accomplished a similar blessing yet. How different from the blank stares I see on so many of their faces as they stand - often very uncomfortably - in our worship services today. Why can't we provide at least one great hymn every week so these Senior Saints can find a blessing in their heart during worship. And, you know what, it would be good for the younger generation to discover the powerful eternal truths that those old hymns taught. Perhaps they, too, would discover the blessing.

As I sat around the dining hall tables visiting with many, I soon learned that these Senior Saints want to be engaged with their world and with the Word. Many have developed a comfortableness around the Internet. Others diligently read papers and books. But the one question I continually heard was this: Why don't we hear good preaching about the End Times any more? Now I am not advocating a continuous diet of End Times, of Revelation, or of the Prophets. But, could we not, at least a couple of times a year, offer a mini-series on what is happening in our world from a biblical viewpoint.

Friends, what a privilege to be with about 175 Seniors who still had a passion to learn the Word of God. Who still had a strong desire to be used by God. Who still loved to worship their God. I truly was blessed to be on this mountaintop called Shamineau this week. And my heart was filled to overflowing with the blessings from these dear people of God.

I think it is time that the Church rediscover the treasure that bears the name Senior Saints. Oh the blessings that will follow.

No comments: