Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ready for the Return of Christ?

Let me ask you a very personal question: Do you believe that Jesus Christ could return at any moment? Do you believe that He could come even today before you complete the reading of this blog? Do I believe that Jesus could come even before I complete the writing of it? If your answer is as mine - a strong, enthusiastic "yes!" - then I need to ask another question: How does that belief affect the way you live?

This past Sunday - April 19 - Marlys and I had the privilege to attend the first service of a Prophetic Conference held at Calvary Evangelical Free Church in Rochester, MN. The speaker was a friend who had spoken in two of my previous churches. Dr. David Larson is recognized as being one of the authorities on prophetic scripture. Sunday morning he spoke on how belief in the Rapture of the Church should impact our lifestyle. The message was simple, yet powerful. His text was Luke 12:35-48.

As Dr. Larson expounded on this text, the thought impressed upon my own heart was this: Is the way I conduct my life today different because I believe Jesus Christ could return at any moment? Are my priorities affected because of this belief? Or can people say of me, "Well he talks a good talk about Christ's coming, but he certainly does not reflect it in his life."

I am saddened to say that probably the last response is more typical - at least for many of us. Oh yes we believe in the coming Rapture, and some even pray daily that that event would come. But we continue to live as if we had all the time in the world. As a dear friend of mine continually reminds me, "We need to be snatching people from the fire." And he is correct. And that is what he and his family is doing.

In the Luke text, Jesus admonishes those to whom He told this parable, that they should be ready for His coming because it could come at any time. If I truly believe that, then I will want to keep my life freed from the influences of sin. That means I will guard what I view on television and on my computer screen. I will guard what I hear with the music I listen to. The Apostle John reminded his readers that Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure (1 John 3:2). So, let's keep our spiritual homes clean.

Second, the text admonishes us to be working when Jesus comes. Now what kind of work would Jesus expect from His followers? First, there is the imperative of evangelism...telling lost souls how they can find rest in Christ. Second, there is the imperative of discipleship...helping saved souls find strength for the battle in Christ.

My friends, personally I do not believe anything further needs to be accomplished before Christ could come to take His Bride to His home. All around us I am seeing those signs that point toward the Advent of Christ as King who will reign upon the throne of David in Jerusalem for 1000 years. And, if those are the harbingers of that great event, then the return of Christ for His Church must be only moments away.

It is time we begin to live as a people who truly believe that Jesus Christ is coming again! Yes, our Redemption soon draws nigh! Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus!

No comments: