Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanksgiving...For What?

"I am thankful for _______." Well, I will let you fill in the blank. You can fill in the blank, can't you? I mean, there is at least one thing for which you can be thankful, isn't there? Yes, I know 2008 has not been exactly one of those stellar years. I have watched my retirement portfolio decline by nearly 40% this year. I have had to pay $4 for a gallon of gas and $3 for a gallon of milk. Marlys and I have watched as the price of our home has depreciated several thousands of dollars this past year.

And then there has been the world scene. It certainly does not give one cause for a lot of thanksgiving and gratitude. Iran and North Korea toy with our psyches as they experiment with nuclear capabilities. Roguish pirates patrol the waters off East Africa, capturing ships and threatening an environmental nightmare. Civil wars continue almost unabated in the heart of Africa with violence that is beyond the comprehension of a civilized society. And what can be said of famines and diseases like AIDS that leave a trail of desperation worldwide.

"I am thankful for ______." If I am dependent upon the things I can hold in my hand, then I might find it difficult expressing thanksgiving this year. BUT, if I am dependent upon the things I hold in my heart, then I should be filled with ceaseless praise. God has been good. And God continues to be good.

Two of my favorite Scripture texts during the Thanksgiving Season are: Psalm 103 and Ephesians 1:3-14. David cries out, "O my soul, please don't forget all of God's benefits!" What are some of those incredible benefits that both David and Paul bring to our remembrance?
1. That you and I have been chosen by God...now get this, even before the foundations of the world were laid! Do you understand that? I can't entirely! Just think...before God created the world, He had already chosen you. "I am thankful for being chosen by God."
2. That you and I have been adopted by God. Adoption means that I once stood outside, but now I am on the inside. I was invited to be part of God's family...forever. "I am thankful for God's loving adoption of me."
3. That you and I have been forgiven by God. David says that "as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." Praise God He has cleansed us of our sins and removed them so far away that they can never be found. "I am thankful for the awesomeness of God's forgiveness."
4. That you and I have been redeemed from the pit. That means that our souls have been rescued from the eternal damnation that awaited us. We have been born again. We have been saved. Whatever term you want to use, it is pretty special. "I am thankful for an amazing grace of God that saved my soul."

And we should never forget to give thanks for those special relationships God has brought into our lives: family and friends and with Him.

"I am thankful for ______." Okay, now I think you can find at least one reason for which to praise God. So, let's get started praising the Lord!

P.S. Shouldn't every day be a day of "thanksgiving?"

No comments: