Thursday, August 28, 2008

What Is Truth?

Recently I have been reading Paul's letters to his young associates, Timothy and Titus. One of the watch words of instruction is to guard, or to be careful of. We might paraphrase it this way, "Be on your toes. Be careful." Two passages in particular drew my attention. 1 Timothy 6:20-21, which states: Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith. The second passage is 2 Timothy 1:14 - Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you - guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

We live in a world where belief-systems, especially those of a fundamental, conservative, biblical faith are being attacked. Some have dared even to proclaim that there is no absolute truth upon which we can and should base our lives. Others have stated that truth is merely a relative matter. What I consider to be truth may be something that you don't acknowledge is truth. Is it little wonder that the world seems to approach insanity these days. Is there not something or someone upon which I can rest secure in the belief that an anchor has been found? Must I spend my life asking the question Pilate asked of Jesus - What is truth? What troubles me more greatly is that many Christians today have bought into that philosophy of questioning just what is truth.

Maybe I get more simplistic the older I get. But it seems to me that the Bible clearly states what truth is. It is found in the person of Jesus Christ who made this claim for Himself: I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me (John 14:6). It was this very same Jesus who told His disciples: If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free (John 8:31-32). Notice Jesus did not say, "You will know some truth," or "You will know a truth," or even "You will know about truth." He said, very plainly, "You will know the truth." Either that means that there is a truth that you and I can know absolutely, or Jesus Christ was lying. There can be no middle road.

How can we know what to guard carefully, as Paul instructed Timothy? I believe those truths are communicated to us through the Word of God. Paul would declare to Timothy that all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17). He also instructs Timothy to preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction (2 Timothy 4:2).

Friends, I believe it is high time that, as Christians, we diligently get back into the Scriptures. Not for the purpose of proving this or that theory, or for gaining approval for this or that practice. But to seek the truth. To anchor our souls, once again, upon the Rock Jesus Christ. Yes, there is an absolute truth. His name is Jesus Christ. And He has chosen to reveal His absolute truth to us through the Word. It is time that we truly begin to dig into His Word and to listen to His voice proclaiming those truths upon which we can confidently build our lives.

No comments: